Green Your Life Every Day: Earth Day 2015
While many people may consider Earth Day to be mostly symbolic in nature, Earth Day does have a purpose and does have its benefits. Earth Day is a grassroots effort intended to draw and focus our attention on the need for green, environmental protection actions on a global level. As Earth Day spans the entire globe, every country, regardless of race, nationality, faith or background, it reminds us that what we do, and what we neglect to do, makes a difference. It brings people together and rekindles their desire to green their lives every day and be the change the world needs. This Earth Day, it’s our turn to lead!
To understand why it is so important for each of us to care for the earth and act in an environmentally-friendly manner, our friends over at Taiga Company have put together this infographic to provide a look at Earth Day history and some of the amazing facts about the earth.
10 Green Actions You Can Add to Your Daily Routine Starting on Earth Day
Those who want to start making a difference, and who want to use Earth Day as a starting point for further green and environmental activities, can start by adding the following 10 green actions into their daily routine:
- Create your own organic garden, or join a community garden, so you can begin growing your own herbs or vegetables.
- Add a recycling bin inside your home or office and start recycling.
- Spend a little bit of time out in nature each day. Leaving no trace you were there will help keep the area you visiting in the same condition for others who want to enjoy its beauty.
- Cut down your water waste by shutting off the faucet when brushing your teeth, washing up your hands, or soaping up your body and hair.
- Eliminate food waste by making a weekly meal plan ahead of time to help make sure you only buy what you will need and use. You can also take unused portions or items to use as leftovers or as part of another meal.
- If you do end up with food waste, be sure to compost it and use it to help your garden grow.
- Ditch the plastic bottle habit and buy a reusable water bottle.
- Reduce your energy consumption. You may also want to consider opting for a more renewable energy source such as solar, wind or hydroelectric.
- Lower your harmful emissions by using public transportation, carpooling, telecommuting or finding a more biofriendly source of transportation. Green Plus® patented liquid fuel catalyst can also help lower vehicle emissions to allow your car to run cleaner and greener.
- Last, but not least, take one of the “A Billion Acts of Green” pledges, showing your commitment to helping create a more sustainable future.
Now, of course, these are just a few of the actions you can take to green your every day life. Even those who are living a relatively sustainable life can probably still do more. If you want to find out more about the real impact you are having on the earth, take a few moments to answer the questions on the Earth Day Network Footprint Calculator. You may get some helpful tips to further lower your environmental impact.
Beauty in nature image by Douglas Scortegagna via Flickr Creative Commons license.
Post a comment