Weekend Edition – Weekly Greens
Well, it’s been awhile since I’ve put together a weekly greens blog post. It’s not that I haven’t come across quite a bit of green and environmental news that I knew you’d be interested in. It’s simply that I didn’t get a chance between my move and all, to put something together for you. So, in honor of the first weekend of June, here is a weekend edition of the Biofriendlyblog Weekly Greens.
Image by Andrew Hill
Now, please remember this is only a small taste of some green and environmentally-minded articles and posts that caught my attention. If you’d like a more in-depth look at some environmental news, you can subscribe to my Enviro Daily.
1) Volkswagen Aqua Hovercraft Looks Like a ‘Star Wars’ Landspeeder!: Okay, now this one is pretty cool. Who wouldn’t want to go driving around in a hovercraft? It’s powered by a hydrogen fuel cell and each of the forward thrust and directional fans are powered by electric motors. So it’s 100% gasoline-free!
2) Why the Past Matters for the Future of Fish: For all you fish eaters out there, please take note. It’s going to take a lot more than is currently being done in order to restore the oceans to the thriving levels of the past. If each of us learns a little about how the past impacts the future of fish, we can take steps to reverse a downward trend.
3) Celsius Biodigester Recycles Organic Waste into Usable Energy: I love hearing about any kind of workable alternative energy, especially when it involves recycling waste materials. I know, sounds like a “Back to the Future” movie, doesn’t it? However this particular machine can be installed right in your kitchen to recycle organic waste. Then you use that energy to cook. Cool!
4) Routine Home Maintenance: Get Ready for Summer: This one’s pretty self-explanatory. Summer is coming and it’s time to tackle those home maintenance items. This post will help you figure out what to work on and where to start.
5) Canadian Solar Headed to China to Build Two 600-MW Solar Technology Plants: China is opening its arms to clean energy companies and Canadian Solar is moving in. They plan on building both a 600-MW solar cell production plant and a 600-MW solar wafer production plant. Additionally, they have already stated they are anticipating being able to double the plants production in the near future!
6) Japan Firm Develops ‘Sun-Chasing’ Solar Panels: Speaking of solar panels, these particular solar panels have been made with moving mirrors that are designed to follow the sun throughout the day. As a result they can generate 2x the electricity of current models. Production scheduled to start in August.
7) Shark Finning is Wrong, Help Stop It: Last but definitely not least is the subject of shark finning. This is one I’ve never understood. Why would you do that to a shark? California residents can sign a petition supporting a bill that would ban the sale, possession, trade or distribution of shark fins.
And since tomorrow is World Environment Day and this year’s theme is Forests: Nature at Your Service, take a few moments to find out what forests mean to all of us. Then figure out how you can help plant a tree, because as the old Chinese proverb goes, “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is now“.
Hope you enjoyed this weekend edition of my “Weekly Greens”. Have a wonderful weekend and remember to get outdoors!