Image by Carrie / Creative Commons
The holidays are here and if your life is anything like mine, you’re pretty busy right about now. I still have gifts to buy, presents to wrap, packages and cards to send, e-cards to put together and send out, and a whole slew of activities, parties and events to attend. Between all the hustle and bustle though, I wanted to share a few simple and eco-friendly ways to brighten your holiday mood.
1) Open those windows. Whether or not it’s cold where you live, opening your windows will help bring in some fresh air and get rid of the stale indoor air pollution lingering inside your home. If you are worried about getting cold, bundle up for a little bit while you air things out. The fresh, clean air will do wonders to help brighten your day and your overall mood.
Image by Miguel Virkkunen / Creative Commons
2) Get outdoors every day. Why? Because fresh air is good for your energy. Letting the fresh air into your home is a smart idea, but spending some time outdoors is even smarter. Go for a walk, a run, or perhaps a bike ride. Take the kids to play in the park. Even stepping outside to enjoy the day will help brighten your mood and give you a little burst of energy.
3) Indulge in a few foods that will help lift your spirits and brighten your mood. Walnuts, chocolate (fair trade chocolate, of course), and blueberries are just some of the foods you can eat during the holidays to help brighten your mood.
Image by Jessica Spengler / Creative Commons
4) Speaking of foods…eat natural. Stay away from foods which contain a lot of sugar and opt for more natural foods like fresh, organic fruits and vegetables. This will help level out your sugar levels and prevent you from riding the sugar-induced roller coaster. Just a quick stop at your local Farmers’ Market and you’ll be set.
5) Give to someone in need. Whether you volunteer at your local food bank, homeless shelter, animal shelter or any other organization which helps those in need, you will find that helping others is a terrific way to brighten your mood. Even helping out a friend in need, or doing some random act of kindness, can put a smile on both their face and yours.
Image by Jemingway / Creative Commons
6) I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again. Smile. Even if you are feeling a little down, brighten your holiday mood with a smile. Studies have shown that smiling helps activate happiness. Start smiling and before you know it, you’ll be feeling as happy as the smile on your face!
“The world always looks brighter from behind a smile” – Unknown Author
I hope you found these eco-friendly ideas useful and that you too can add them to your daily schedule in order to help brighten your holiday mood. Remember, sometimes it is the little things that can make the most difference. Here’s to a happy and eco-friendly holiday season!