5 Simple Things You Can Do To Be More Biofriendly Today
Image by Richard0
Now I’m not going to be talking about things like going out and buying a new hybrid or getting rid of your car by donating it to a good cause (although you could do those things). I’m talking about simple things anyone and everyone can do today to be a little more biofriendly or environmentally-conscious.
I know there are many, many things you could and should do, however I chose these because they are things you don’t need a lot of money to do and don’t need a lot of time to do. But each one of them makes a difference….even if a small one. Remember, some of the biggest changes have started out from the smallest actions.
1) Get some fresh fruit and/or veggies and make yourself a snack. Eating fresh fruit and vegetables rather than canned is better for you. Not just because they taste better or because you were always told to eat fresh fruit and vegetables, but also because, (starting back in the 60’s) BPA has been used to line the insides of cans in order to extend shelf life. Who wants to eat that? Less canned, more fresh!
2) Recycle. You hear it or see it on signs everyday, but do you recycle? It doesn’t take a lot to recycle and it makes a difference. Maybe if there were more programs like the one set up by One Earth Recycling, more people would be incentivized to recycle…but until then, you CAN make a choice to do it yourself. You’ll even get paid to do it.
3) Pick it up. By that I mean don’t walk by the trash you see on the ground. It’s an unfortunate, but true fact that almost anywhere you go you see trash on the ground. Something that someone didn’t bother to put in the trash can. Why people drop their trash on the ground, I don’t know. But it takes almost no effort to pick it up and put it in a trash container. It makes the area look a lot better when trash isn’t sitting around or flying down the street. (My daughter picks up trash she sees…so you can do it too.)
4) Go for a walk. Look around at the beautiful trees, sky, flowers and even some bugs, butterflies or birds. Doing this will not only get you some exercise and fresh air, it will help connect you back to nature. If you have kids, bring them along – find something you’ve never seen before and see what you can learn about the great outdoors. How can you be a friend of the environment if you aren’t aware of the environment around you?
5) Set your thermostat. If you don’t have an adjustable thermostat, it is something you might want to think about. With weather changing and winter upon us, you need to set your thermostat accordingly. This will help you save money on heating and electric bills too.
Now, like I said there are tons of other things you can do to be more biofriendly such as turning off your lights when you aren’t using them, conserving water, using grey water to water your plants, planting your own herbs and vegetables, taking public transportation, using a proven fuel additive, car-pooling, etc, etc. And if you want more tips on going green and becoming more biofriendly, you should check out “365 Ways to Go Green“. So…what are you going to do today to be more biofriendly?